Medical Physics Division
Medical Physics is the application of physics in medicine. At present, two ADP projects are running for up gradation the facilities of National Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (NINMAS); through these projects NINMAS already installed some high technical instruments and as well as some new facilities which should be maintained by medical physicists to provide better services to the patients. So, the workload of medical physicists working at NINMAS increased in a huge volume and the authority decided to establish “Medical Physics” division at NINMAS. Medical Physics division carries out the following activities:
1. Conducts the quality assurance program including routine quality control of all nuclear medicine instruments.
2. Supervises the installation processes of all newly installed equipments and compliance the acceptance testing of the installed instruments.
3. Medical Physics division run a program related to “Patient dosimetry”.
4. Repair and maintenance of all nuclear medicine instruments is also a major responsibility of the division.
5. Preparation of reports on nuclear medicine instruments with their present and past status also a responsibility of the division.
6. Medical Physics division prepares technical specifications for tender to get new nuclear medicine instruments.
7. Conducts works related to image quality, reconstruction and interpretation from all nuclear medicine imaging devices.
8. Conducts different types of training programs and also takes a vital part in academic activities of NINMAS. This division regularly conducts one month internship program for the MS students of the Dept. of Biomedical Physics Technology, Dhaka University.
Under this division, Radiation Control Officer performs all types of radiation protection activities; which are:
1. Ensure radiation safety for the patients, attendances and radiation workers.
2. Regular supervision of the radiation workers as to ensure safe usages of radioactive materials and continuous training of radioactive material handling.
3. Supervision on radiation workers to ensure the proper usages of TLD badges, if need, then provide and also maintain the data of absorbed doses of the radiation workers.
4. Conduct regularly radioactive waste management activities.
5. Preparation of radiation safety protocols, such as, radiation waste management, emergency preparedness protocol etc.
6. Conduct all works related to the licensing of the institute to handle safe use of radioactive material and radiation safety.