Ultrasound & Color Doppler Division
Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Ultrasound is the pioneer in the field of ultrasonography in Bangladesh. The first ultrasonography machine of Bangladesh was installed in 1980 in this institute. Since then this institute is playing the leading role in this field in Bangladesh. Trained and reputed personnel are doing ultrasound imaging here and patients with complicated diseases get enormous benefit from their expertise & experience. Besides, significant number of physiciansare being trained on ultrasound imaging every year and simultaneously research activities are also being performed.
Imaging facilities are:
I. General Purpose & High Resolution B-Mode Ultrasound(USG) imaging:
• All sorts of abdominal USG: Hepatobiliary system, renal system, gynaecological, etc.
Pregnancy related: pregnancy profiles, biophysical profile, scan for fetal anomalies.
• Small parts USG with high frequency probe: breast, testes, eye, thyroid, parotid, brain, etc.
• Musculoskeletal USG: Hip joint; other joints, musculoskeletal diseases and traumatic cases
Superficial USG: Subcutaneous lesions
Various Color and Power Doppler studies are done:
• Peripheral vascular Doppler: for PVD, DVT, varicose veins etc.
• Portal venous Doppler: for cirrhosis, portal hypertension.
• Carotid Doppler: For ischemia, stenosis.
• Renal Doppler: For renal artery stenosis, transplant study.
• Penile Doppler: For erectile dysfunction
• Umbilical cords Doppler: IUGR, placental insufficiency
• Tumor vascularity
• Testicular torsion.
III. Transrectal: Prostate
IV. Transvaginal: Pelvic pathologies. Infertility cases for folliculometry
V. 3D & 4D: Various organs, especially foetal studies for congenital anomaly.
I. Biopsy: USG guided biopsy from different organs, e.g., kidney, liver, tumor, thyroid, etc.
II. Aspiration: Aspiration of liver abscess, pleural effusion, ascites, etc. These are meant for therapeutic purposes as well as cytology and histopathology.
Preparation for USG: For upper abdomen, hepatobiliary system and whole abdomen examination- patient has to come after at least 8 hrs fasting condition.
For lower abdominal examination: Patient has to take plenty of water to fill urinary bladder.
Any special preparation is not required for other examinations mentioned above.